Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Bad Amanda, Naughty Amanda!

It's true. I did it. I said I wouldn't go--promised myself I was stronger, more disciplined and above that kind of activity. I lied. Do we ever truly know the monster inside? That raging beast that fills my mind with deceptive dreams and uncontrollable urges. I didn’t mean to go; I don’t know how I got there. It started innocently enough. I just needed to stretch my legs and enjoy the Seattle sunshine (rare in March, who can resist?). Where am I going? Why this direction? Relax Amanda. Perhaps it’s the sun, merrily lighting up the afternoon sky. That’s it…it’s just the sun. What’s this? The doors graciously open and I find myself surrounded by their glorious, heart-warming spines. It’s impossible to contain the smile. Ahh…I’m home. Forget the promise I’ve made and lose myself amongst the shelves. Run my fingers gently over the beautiful, intriguing covers and admit the truth. My name is Amanda (pause) and I’m a bibliophile*.

My recent “misadventures” resulted in the acquiring of:

  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • Novelties & Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction by John Crowley
  • The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million by Daniel Mendelsohn
  • The Last of the Mohicans by J. Fenimore Cooper
  • The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
  • Book Lust by Nancy Pearl
  • The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan

*A person who collects or has a great love of books.

No comments: