Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Flickr & I

When it comes to backing up my digital photography, I'm a bit neurotic and paranoid.  Storing images on my PC and external hard drive isn't nearly enough to help me sleep well at night.  While searching for a solution, I vaguely remembered the Flickr account I set up ages ago.  I had a free account that allowed me to upload 500MB per month, for free.  At 500MB a month, I'd be uploading images till my 65th birthday (assuming I don't take another from now till then).  

For $25 you can get an account with unlimited uploading and perks like being able to download your images online in the original format.  Overall, I really enjoy Flickr.  My biggest complaint is the semi-operational "Flickr Uploadr".  About 25% of the time, it boots me out of the system while I'm trying to upload images.  When I open it up again, I have to (manually) remove images so they aren't duplicated or start from scratch.  Yeah, annoying!  Hopefully, they'll keep improving the bulk uploading tools to make the process more user friendly.  So far, I'd give Flickr 7.5 out of 10.  

Visit me on Flickr.

No comments: